Sunday, March 23, 2014

Water Parks and Drunk Parents: The Movie


When I asked a friend what he thought of The Way Way Back he said he didn't like it. I was surprised. I had seen it and thought it was funny, original, and heartbreakingly truthful. I asked why he didn't like it. He said it hit too close to home. And that was definitely true for me as well, but that was what I loved about it. Nothing about this story was polished up and made glamorous, everyone was as normal and flawed as real life. Nobody was unrealistically beautiful, smart, or kind, everyone was real.
I was already expecting great things from this movie after I found out that Jim Rash was a part of it. You may remember Rash as Dean Pelton from Community aka one of the most original and outlandish characters currently on television. I really did love this movie. I found myself relating to it in more ways than I have with any other generic "coming of age" movie. I really managed to capture how incredibly awful being a teenager up tends to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment