Sunday, March 23, 2014

Almost a RomCom, But Not(?): The Movie



I first found this movie on an adventure through the recommended videos side bar of youtube, clicking through various trailers. When a friend found it a couple weeks later on demand, I figured what the heck, it looks funny. As it says on the poster above, this film was made by the producers of Love Actually, so I was expecting great things. While walking the line between comedy and romcom, I Give it a Year was an awful lot of fun to watch. It was full of quips and comebacks and was driven by the fast-paced dialogue. It played a lot with the expectations associated with this kind of movie and gave us a new version of the classic happy endings. Alongside the intensely funny script, was a masterful use of visual gags and levels. Sure, it's not going to change your world view or inspire your creative genius, but if you're in a bad mood or having a rotten day, try this out. And if you watch it for nothing else, it has a pretty good soundtrack.
P.S. I promise I'll write about something serious next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment