Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sad Stuff and An Idiot: The Movie


Alright, so it's taken me awhile to get around to watching this movie, though I'm not sure why. All I can say is that I'm glad I did. Because I was watching it in a fairly sketchy, online way, the film didn't have any subtitles. This made the two French portions a wee bit difficult. What I ended up doing was reading along with the screenplay for those sections, but I caught myself looking over at it more often. It was a beautifully written script and definitely added to my enjoyment of the film. Joe Wright is one of my favorite directors and of course the cast was superb. One of my favorite elements of this movie, and of most of Joe Wright's movies, is the way he uses silence and sound. The clicking of a typewriter was almost omnipresent throughout the movie and even became a sort of music in parts, but what I loved was the way little sound effects would be the only sound in some scenes. The scratch of a pen or the sound of paper moving would be the only noise, ringing out in the silence. Another thing I liked was the way the script didn't hold your hand and explain everything to you simply. You had to put some effort into the story, you had to be an active listener. Closing thoughts: honestly this movie is heartbreakingly beautiful, but you probably already know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment