Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bombs and Hair Curlers: The Mini-Series


I once again have Netflix to thank for this find. While perusing it's generally forgettable recommendations, I stumbled upon Bomb Girls. It follows the lives of women working in a Canadian munitions factory in World War II. What makes it special is it's completely unique perspective on the war, showing it both from a woman's viewpoint and from a Canadian stance. I had never really learned about women's participation in the War. I mean, obviously I knew they worked in factories, but this series gave that whole dynamic life and character. I love movies and series about this time period, so I knew I was going to like this show, and I was right. From the start, the series presents a cast of characters so diversified in their personalities it is impossible not to root for at least one of them. While it is generally fairly light, the show has some darker moments in each forty-five minute episode, dealing with the subject matter it does. I would definitely recommend getting into this show, especially because the second season has recently been released and, so far, I've been loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment